Are onions the superheroes of the vegetable world? You may have heard about the multiple health benefits of eating onions. But they’re also a powerful part of many home remedies.
Learn more about healing with onions:
- How do onions help? Onions have many health benefits:
- Onions have sulfuric compounds that can fight bacteria and other germs. These compounds may also lower the risk of cancer and other health issues.
- Onions have antioxidants that can fight free radicals in your body that may lead to cancer.
- They may also help toothaches and gum issues.
- Onions may also be beneficial to good bacteria in the gut, which may reduce stomach issues and help heal you in many ways.
- Using onions for congestion. One of the most popular home remedies is to use onions for common colds. By consuming onions, you may be able to break up the congestion in your body caused by a cold or flu. You may find it easier to cough up the mucus in your lungs.
- Start by dicing one small onion and add about a teaspoon of water to a pot. Cook the onion in the water on the stove until the water evaporates. Then, let the cooked onion cool so it won’t burn your skin.
- Next, take the onion and put it inside a small towel. Place the towel on your chest or back. Leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- When you’re done, throw away the used onion and make a new batch.
- Using onions for coughs. There are several home remedies that use onions to relieve coughing.
- The simplest remedy is to take a large, white onion and peel it. Then, slice some of the top off, so it’s flat. Next, put the onion in a small bowl. Pour about two or more tablespoons of honey on top of the onion and let it sit for a couple of hours. Take a teaspoon of the honey when you cough.
- Another way to prepare onions for coughs is to cook them. Start by cutting an onion into small pieces and add it to a pot. Add about half a cup of honey and slowly heat it. Turn off the heat once the onions are clear and let the mixture cool. Take a teaspoon of the honey every couple of hours.
- In some cases, eating too much onion can cause stomach issues. So use these remedies in moderation.
- Using onions for other illnesses. This vegetable has many uses.
- You may want to put a piece of raw onion on your skin after a sprain or muscle issue. The onion is supposed to draw blood closer to the skin and promote healing.
- A raw onion may also help a bruise heal. But don’t put it on an open wound or sore.
- Some people put raw onions in their socks at night when they’re sick to draw out the illness from the body. This may not always work, and it’s important to wash the socks well and throw away the onion after you use it.
- Onion soup is another popular home remedy that is easy to make. You may want to use onion soup when you have a cold or flu. It may also help urinary tract infections and kidneys issues. Add bone broth to it for more health benefits.
- Consider using garlic and onion together in your home remedies for even greater germ-fighting power.
With their antioxidant and antibacterial properties, onions are truly a healing powerhouse when you consider all the health issues they can help you with. From relieving bruises and sprains, to helping you get over your colds and coughs, to helping prevent cancer, and more, onions can help. Plus, they’re safe to use in many home remedies.
Give onions a try! If you have concerns about using them, talk to your doctor first.