Roasted chicken comes in many forms and flavors. However, not all of these are created equal. If you want some tasty, juicy, smoky and flavor packed oven roasted chicken that only takes minimal effort to make, then you will love this perfectly seasoned oven roasted chicken recipe.
What You Will Need:
- 1 kilo of assorted chicken cuts (a little over 2 lbs). Use thigh, wings and drumsticks for best flavor.
- Brine solution: 2 cups water, 1 heaped tablespoon rock salt, 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Roast rub: 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, 3 tablespoons paprika, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup bacon drippings or plain olive oil, 1 tablespoon dried oregano and 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes for extra heat.
Time to Roast Some Chicken in the Oven!
- Prepare the chicken and the ingredients for the brine mixture first.
- Combine brine solution ingredients and mix thoroughly until all the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour over the washed up and cut chicken pieces, and let stand in the refrigerator for an hour up to overnight.
- Once the chicken has spent some time in the brine solution and you are ready to roast it, gather the ingredients for the roast rub.
- Drain the chicken and place it in a big bowl or container. Pour the roast rub ingredients into this bowl or container.
- Massage the roast rub mix unto the chicken until all pieces are coated. Transfer to a roasting dish or pan, taking care to place the chicken pieces skin side down.
- Pour the extra roast rub mixture over the chicken and roast in a preheated oven at 200C for 12-15 minutes. You may use a broiler too, but you need to adjust the cooking time to 10 minutes for this phase.
- Take out of the oven and flip the chicken pieces so that the skin side is now up. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes or 7-8 minutes if using a broiler.
- Perfectly roasted! Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, a salad, or just on its own! This dish is even better the following day. Just make sure to save the drippings for gravy or something to coat the chicken with if reheating. This recipe is good for 5-6 people.