Everyone experiences sadness at times. Sometimes, life just gets you down. However, you don’t have to take sadness lying down. You can actively combat sadness by changing your perspective or by doing something enjoyable.
The ability to self-soothe is one of the most important skills a person can have at their disposal.
Try these tips to take control of your emotional state and feel more joy:
- Play with a pet. The science is indisputable regarding pets. They’re great for your mental health. People with pets are happier and have less anxiety. If you have a pet, get on the floor and spend some time nose to nose. If you don’t have a pet, go visit a friend that does or get your own pet.
- Listen to you favorite song. A good song can change your mood instantly. Keep a playlist of your favorite songs handy and use it regularly.
- Watch a funny movie. Spend a couple of hours with your favorite movie. A few laughs can keep the sadness at bay. You might dedicate a day to watching funny movies.
- Make a list of the good things in your life. If you’re sad, you might be spending too much time on the negative things in your life. Redirect your attention to the good things. You might be grateful for your health, tennis, cheeseburgers, Mai Tais, and English mastiffs. Make a list.
- Go out with a friend. Get out of the house and spend some time with someone you enjoy. Do something fun. You’d have to be in a better mood after that.
- Get off the internet. Too much time online leads to decreased satisfaction with life. Find a more productive and enjoyable way to spend your time. Maybe a new hobby is in order.
- Put yourself first. It’s easy to run yourself into the ground and feel miserable if you’re always putting others first. Try putting yourself first for a change. If the opposite is true – you’re always putting yourself first – put the focus on someone else for a change. Balance is the key.
- Take a mental health day. Call in sick to work and spend a day doing whatever you like. There’s nothing like a mental health day to feel better about life. Imagine how you would spend a perfect day at home and make it a reality.
- Have your favorite meal. Everyone loves to eat. Few things can boost your mood better than your favorite meal. Splurge and have your favorite meal. Better yet, share it with someone that makes you smile. Maybe you can prepare your perfect meal together.
- Read something that inspires you. Your life might be tough right now, but odds are there have been many people that have overcome worse situations. Read about someone that inspires you to be your best.
- Play a game with someone. Turn off your phone. Slotomania and Candy Crush will still be there tomorrow. Play a real game with a real person. Play cards, dominoes, or Monopoly. Pull out your favorite board game or go outside and play basketball. Spend time with someone else doing something fun.
If you’re feeling down, ask yourself what would make you feel better and then do it! You don’t have to wait to feel better. You can take steps to feel better right now. Take responsibility for your current state of sadness. No one else is likely to do it for you.
Give yourself the attention you deserve and make your happiness a priority. Call up a friend and have a great time.