The easier and simpler a recipe is, the more attracted I am to it these days. Being a mom to a 3.5 year old is busy, but with easy recipes like this, then it’s a breeze.
Enter Orange Chicken Yams. And, of course… ENTER: SLOW COOKER. I think my slow cooker will go from being my best friend to my bestest best friend. With a recipe as easy, delicious, and nutritious as this, I have so much time on my hands that I can read a book. 😉 Speaking of books, I just finished Chris Kressers’ The Paleo Code, which is a good book detailing a Paleo diet with a Real Food spin which I like. I’m about to dive into Eat the Yolks (by funny gal Liz Wolfe) between chapters of one of my favorite authors, Diana Gabaldon. I’m on her 5th book in The Outlander Series, The Fiery Cross. The Outlander Series is soooooo fantastic and very popular (so popular that I believe a TV series is being made of it). I love to read. It’s one of my favorite things.
On to the recipe:
Orange Chicken Yams (Slow Cooker. Gluten Free. Paleo.)
Yield 4 servings
- 2 cups homemade broth (or water, if you must)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 small-medium yams, peeled and chopped
- 1 whole pasture raised organic chicken (3 to 4 pounds), pieced
- 1 organic orange, sliced
- Set your slow cooker (my Frigidaire slow cooker is 7 quarts, shown above) to LOW and add the broth, bay leaf, onion, and yams.
- Generously season the chicken pieces with salt and place on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Top the chicken with the sliced oranges.
- Cover and let cook 6 to 8 hours, or until meat is done as indicated by a thermometer and proper chicken cooking temperatures.